Monday, January 9, 2012

Acclimatization


Sunday I continued the trend of waking up at 2, rereading my New Yorker and going through the essential collection of EA Poe. Finally the sun came up and I studied a bit before meeting with Anthony to go over the on line data collection system we are using. This was typical getting things done in Tanzania. First the wifi was out, then the wireless modem was not working so we finally ended up at an internet café with super slow internet and a sticky keyboard that caused Anthony to misenter his password so many times that it locked him out of the system. We concluded the meeting by visiting a friend of a friend who had been stabbed a number of times in the belly, but was doing quite well for it.

Later in the afternoon, I went on the Kilimanjaro hash. A hash is basically a run/walk where you follow a trail of flour around a cross-country course. I managed to pull my hamstring again within the first ten minutes and hobbled trough the beautiful African countryside. The hash ends with beer and potato chips- maybe the adult version of orange slices and water after a soccer game. Met a couple of interesting ex pats that were teaching, involved in local businesses and working in the health care field. This wrapped up around dark and I headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment